In reality, it is rare that one should need a completely new app developed and ready for use the following day. However, to be able to develop an app quickly might still come in handy. Hence, this blog post aims to provide you with advice on how you can prepare for quick app development and what to do if a completely new app is needed urgently.
”You won’t be able to distribute an app through for instance Apple in just one day. Therefore, when time is limited you will be on top of things by creating an enterprise app. An enterprise app can actually be worth considering for your business for many reasons. For one, no other parties will have access to the ideas that are reflected in the app,” Eliasson Jäger says.
An enterprise app can be created as follows: Build a program file, ad a certificate and distribute it to corporate or external users. Microsoft Intune can be used as a tool for distribution.
But what about the infrastructure part? It is not possible to create an app in just one day without a well-prepared backend. Consult your service provider and developer partner on how to structure the backend wisely.
Security is another obstacle which can slow down app development. To be able to create an app in a day, security including authentication must be ready and duplicable for the new app. ”These are all system development checkpoints” according to Eliasson Jäger.
”A scenario might be that you already have a regular and secure web application that uses the core system through API, and now you would like to optimize it for smartphone with an app. In such cases you are well prepared. You might even have gained user experience which enables you to enhance the functionality and user interface further.”
Eliasson Jäger suggests using Apple Xcode or similar tools when designing the app. Apple Xcode allows you to work visually with a storyboard editor where you graphically can design the different views in the app you are building.
Also, a developer will need to code routines for data collection throughout the API, authentication and calls to return stuff from the app and hook this up to the UI.
6 steps for fast app development
- Prepare your core system for an app with a well-defined REST API
- From the very beginning, prepare the core for apps including security and authentication procedures which are easy to duplicate
- Single view app could be a starting point, but plan further ahead
- Use a tool like Apple Xcode where you can work visually, develop code and link both together
- Consult with your MSP of your application development procedures, including enterprise app distribution and operations
- Distribute through links or push through with Microsoft Intune (formerly Windows Intune). The user must acknowledge a certificate to enable app installation